Privacy

PRIVACY
I will never knowingly publish a persons photograph or name on this blog without first obtaining the permission to do so.
The exception being that of famous and or well known persons who's details are already freely available on the internet.

Wednesday, 9 December 2015

Laundry?

My fathers brother served with the Royal Scots Greys in Egypt during WW2. Whilst looking through his photograph album of somewhat faded photos, this photo caught my eye. Is it a contraption for washing clothes, has anyone got any ideas?

Sadly my uncle did not return home from Egypt.

8 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Interesting though I have never seen one before. I hope someone can confirm your idea.

sousca said...

If it is a washing machine, I wonder if it does a better job than my front loader? Perhaps I should buy one and keep it in the shed!

Tess Johnson said...

You may find it lacks a spin program!
Sad about your uncle, so many did not come back.

sousca said...

Should it have a spin programme, I would not feel safe unless I was standing over a mile away from it. I can visualise my washing being draped over various house chimneys across the City after it had blown up.

Shammickite said...

Do you think the first pic was taken in Egypt?

sousca said...

Yes it was taken in Egypt. I have emailed the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Museum to see if they are able to ID the contraption in the pic.
(The Royal Scots Greys amalgamated with the 3rd Carabiniers to become the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards in 1971)

Shammickite said...

Any other interesting pictures in that album?

sousca said...

Will scan them and email them to you, though before they came into my hands, they had been left in a damp shed and some are in too bad a state to scan, also many are faded and the prints are rather small. I will put a few on this blog before long.